Finding new paths for much-loved pieces
TOAST Circle is our clothes swapping initiative that looks at a garment’s life beyond its first wearer. Our aim is to reshape buying habits, advocate for quality, foster longevity and support our customers to do the same. Since launching in 2019, over 1,500 garments have been swapped.
TOAST Circle Talks and Clothes Swaps
Over the next couple of months join us in our shops for thought-provoking conversations and a chance to swap your garments. A Q&A will follow each talk. Alternatively, you can watch live online using the links below.
Thu 21 April | The Circular Economy with Katie Treggiden
Join founder and director of Making Design Circular, Katie Treggiden, to hear about the role that taking part in the circular economy can play in personal wellbeing and building community.
Thu 5 May | The Role of Styling & Community with Alice Wilby and Katelyn Toth-Fejel
Join creative consultant, educator and activist Alice Wilby and designer, artist and PhD researcher Katelyn Toth-Fejel as they discuss the role of styling and community to tackle the climate crisis.
Thu 19 May | The Craft of Use with Kate Fletcher
Join Kate Fletcher, Professor at the Centre for Sustainable Fashion, for a talk exploring ideas and practices of durability including from outside the global north, clothing volumes and the usership of garments.
Join us at TOAST Harrogate, 6pm - 9pm.
Or watch online at 7pm BST (8pm CEST / 2pm EDT), 45 mins.
TOAST Circle Swapping Events
We will be hosting swapping days over the coming months. Join us in your local TOAST Shop on one of the following dates. Bring up to five items to trade for tokens, which will then be assessed by our shop teams.
Sat 18 June, 11am - 6pm.
Sat 20 August, 11am - 6pm.
Sat 15 October, 11am - 6pm.
TOAST Circle Swaps
How does it work?
- Bring your pre-worn TOAST garments (up to 5 per visit) into a TOAST Shop. This should be something you once valued that you think could be valued by someone else. Would you give this item to someone?
- Complete a story label detailing how and where you wore your garment.
- Receive a token in exchange for each of your garments. The token will reflect the original value of your TOAST garment, as decided by the store team. There are three tiers: up to £150, £151-£250 and over £250.
- Explore the curated rails of pre-worn TOAST garments and trade your token to find new garments of the same tier.
- Any garments that remain after a period of 6 months will be processed through one of three Circle streams: donating the items to a charity of our choice; TOAST upcycling scheme; fibre recycling. This will not impact your ability to use your tokens to select another garment.
What can you swap?
- You can swap up to 5 pre-worn garments that have been well cared for (free of faults or minor repairs such as rips, holes and stains).
- We will not be able to accept any clothes that are damaged. The TOAST team can refuse any items brought to the event that do not meet the Circle criteria.
- Garments must be clean and ironed.